Week Twelve (Part 1): “Lucky for me, my PT was a Unicorn…”

(12 weeks post break / 11 weeks post ORIF)

The hard cast came off this week- and this time it was staying off! The PA and nurse at the clinic were just as surprised to see the fact that I had been put in the hard cast (as I was 2 weeks ago after my screw removal surgery). But alas, I didn’t care anymore- that was done and over with and the last cast was sawed off, leaving behind a trail of fiberglass dust, dead skin, and happiness. 

Holy Atrophy, Batman!

I also got to take a look at the screw removal incision, which was so thoughtfully placed right along the same incision that had almost fully healed from 10 weeks ago. I guess I was pleased that my ankle would not look like a carved pumpkin, although it was Halloween tomorrow, and I could have used that to my advantage.
3 month old pedicure, on point!

Alas, the layers of crusted and Betadine-stained orange dead skin around my entire foot would have to suffice as my scary Halloween-themed post-surgical keepsake. And trust me, it was significantly terrifying…


Spooky, Eh!?
🎃 HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! 🎃
…

I was allowed to walk out of the clinic in my air-cast/boot, and I sure did!! It was scary, exciting, and so much easier than I had anticipated! Even though I walked like a pirate (nothing new to me, if you’ve been following along on my peg-legged journey), there wasn’t very much pain in the ankle joint, and I was very pleased by that. From Zero to FWB in 60 seconds flat, no horsepower required!


Wanna know how I really feel????? 

This recovery was going to be easy- I thought to myself. 
Why do people make such a fuss about it?
Maybe they’re all just babies…

(Spoiler Alert: I was definitely going to eat my words, regurgitate them, and eat them again before the week was over…)
…
PUTTING ON ALL THE SOCKS!
SEARCHING FOR ALL MY
"RIGHT" SHOES!
Since my hard cast was off, I was looking forward to beginning Physical Therapy. I was so excited that I called every clinic in a 50 mile radius to see who could get me in the soonest, and made an appointment for the first time slot they had available the next day. I was especially looking forward to physical therapy for 2 immediate reasons: 
1) The PA told me that I should not drive, until I have the strength and Range of Motion that the PT told me would be required for driving. I was itching to get back into the driver’s seat, and looked forward to getting the hang of the exercises to strengthen my ankle ASAP.

2) I would be travelling across the country (via Airplane) to attend a 4-day conference in Denver, CO by the end of this week, and I wanted to be able to make the most of this trip- let alone survive 4 days of an intensive meeting schedule, not to mention the stress of airports, navigating the terminals, and not being miserable the entire time.

I had lots of work to do, and very little time in which to do it. 

Lucky for me, my PT was a Unicorn.

(I’m not kidding! She was a unicorn! It was Halloween, and she was dressed as an actual unicorn as she got me set up and did some preliminary measurements in the clinic. It was pretty magical.)


A Unicorn for a Physical Therapist?

I mean, seriously. You can’t make this stuff up…

Comments

  1. mmmmmmmmmm, nice cool fiber-cast and i like your nice sexy toes am a fan sweetie hugs from lieven xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment